Thursday, June 11, 2009

where i am

Life comes with decisions and making decisions involves human motivations. I think I most fear my motivations.

However, I am beginning to let go. Release my guilt and shame upon the Cross and leave it there.

When I was scared of my motivations, it was hard to move forward, to make any big steps. But I feel somewhat ready now.

People often misunderstand my need for change. I don't hate Manassas. I am simply there. I don't feel any strong love for it, but there is no longer any dislike or discord between me and this place. I have existed back here for over a year, and I feel good and healthy about where I am now. I have come a long way.


This long year has carried a lot of sorrow. It's not quite a Job-like sorrow where he has everything, loses all of it, but faithfully seeks after God. I did not have everything, I lost some of what I had and for a good long while, after a lot of loud, boisterous yelling- I halted my seeking after Him. I just couldn't care anymore. Everything was hopeless. I sought my own understanding of things. I was more like the reflections of Solomon's life in Ecclesiastes.

Like Solomon, I had a lot of knowledge but I had pretention I passed off as wisdom. And that knowledge led to much grief, and that grief led to much dying. I let go of knowledge, and letting go of it was one of the best things I could do (even though I feel dumb). I am not saying I have stopped pursuing learning. I just don't strive to know everything and be the highly exalted enlightened one. I don't care about it anymore. It means absolutely nothing to me.

This year has involved a lot of letting go. There are some things I still need to let go of. God and I spoke together and we are on the same page--I know what I need to let go of. But it's the hardest challenge I have, and the one I feel the most pathetic talking about. But it's an idol that I always seek after instead of God. My seeking has to go toward a better direction.

Manassas is an odd town. And there are things I love about it. I know I eventually will leave- how and when are two things which remain a foggy mystery.

Hating a place and just simply knowing you don't belong are two different things. I am not meant to live here for a long time. But I will enjoy my time here.

How does one be content and discontent at the same time about where they are? I don't know, but that's where I am right now. I am perfectly happy, but striving forward. I know there's more for me out there. At one point my growth here will cease being and it will be time to move. It will not be out of discord. I will not cut myself off from Manassas.

I will not disappear off the face of the planet...but one day soon, it'll be time to walk forward.

2 comments:

Brenda! said...

Brilliantly said. And I feel every bit of this awkward yet blessed year of your life. I too know, you will be moving on sometime. Probably sooner than later. But it has been GREAT to have you around for this time.

Sarah Moffat said...

Dying to the quest to be the most knowledgeable. Wow. That speaks volumes, actually, about how wise you actually are!

Seeking knowledge and wisdom are both important, but never to be idols, I think... and sometimes, that's quite a thin line!

I am impressed by you.