Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Seeking the Lord

I really don't study scripture too much. Lately, I've been discontent with how I've been flying through scripture. I don't take too much time to stop and reflect on it. Isaiah 55 is one of those passages which I love, but I always speed through it. There's so much there. As a response, I started to study it today.

The verse that struck a cord in me to dive further in:

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call on him while he is near.
(Isaiah 55:6)

It seems to be very simple. But lately, I've been thinking more about seeking the Lord in everything I do. And I realized that I don't really know what it means. So I did something so simple, anyone with literacy can do it: I looked up the cross references. WOW! go me! I mean, no not really, but the beginnings of list that resulted from it, I do want to look back on it, and go further into depth. But right now, all I have is a list.

seeking the Lord: what does it mean?

-obey his commands (Isaiah 55:2-3) what does he command of us? Love God, Love people. (Matthew 22:37-39)
- Call upon him. Come and pray to him, with expectation that he will listen(Jer 29:12-14). This means we come boldly before him with our prayers and petition, putting our complete trust in him. (Ephesians 3:11-12)
-Tremble before him, remembering that he gives and takes our blessings away (Hos 3:5).
-seek no one else. cast down our idols (amos 5:4-5).
- Hate evil. Love Good. Maintain justice (Amos 5:14-15).
- Do not forsake his name (2 Chronicles 15:2).
-Find refuge in him as your Protector (Psalms 18:2, 32:6-7, 34 and possibly half of the Psalms)
-Reach out for Him. Live and move and have your being in your identity as his offspring (Acts 17:27-28)
- Do not recieve God's grace in vain. Find your salvation in him because now is the time. (2 Cor 6:12)
- Boast gladly in your weakness for His grace is sufficient for you (2 Cor 12:9). Know thay his ways and thoughts are better than your own (Isaiah 55:8-9).

There's so much more to be added. Leave a comment for any addendums to the list!
-

No comments: