Monday, August 11, 2008

all you need is love

I am DONE being a pessimist.

It's time to find joy in life. Not scrutinize it, yanking out all the bad things. Dwelling on all the uncertainty. Embrace uncertainty. It's exciting. It's adventurous. It's a wild ride.

My life is a life in flux (hence the name of the blog).

I notice that listening to oldies lifts up my spirits.

But even more so, feeling loved.

We had a family reunion this weekend. Now that was love. It's love when you see people you have only met once or twice in your life and they fully embrace you.

I feel love from being able to converse with older women without feeling the generation gap. But simply chatting and being affirmed by them as a woman.

I feel love when I eat my grandma's cooking.

I feel love when I can get along wonderfully with my cousin who couldn't be more different than me.

I feel love when a college friend calls me just because.

I feel love when friends invite me out, even if I can't go.

I feel love when I embarrass myself beyond belief but everybody just laughs.

I feel love when someone cleans up after me.

I feel love from seeing friends at weddings.

I feel love from weirdo inside jokes such as klaus the gnome.

I feel God's love when finding a new place I had yet to discover.

I feel God's love when I can find joy from a simple car ride down a winding road.

I feel love when people read my stories and poems even though I'm kind of embarrassed by them.

I feel God's love when I experience humorous consequences from mistakes I make.

I feel love when dancing in a group of friends.

I feel love when my grandma talks up my acting based simply on a videotape of a high school play I was in.

I feel love when my friends stalk my facebook.

I feel love when I watch the office with my brother.

I feel love when my old roommate still texts me Arrested Development lines.

I feel love when people affirm my talents. Or that I'm smart. Or beautiful.

I feel love with the couple of friends who I know I can call about my problems and they will really listen. No matter when.

In many areas, I don't feel love. And I want that love but I know it'll take time.

I need to let go of my expectations and embrace the love I do have.

On a slightly related note, I love oldies music. It's idealistically romantic. That reminds me I shouldn't settle on whatever seems to be in front of me. Or whatever seems easy. That sorta love IS out there for me, and it'll be grand, but I cannot settle for less. Or focus on boys who won't pursue me.

That sort of love is out there. But for now, I do have love. God loves me. My family loves me. And my friends love me. And I have friends everywhere. In different cities, states and even countries.

I love that.

No comments: