Friday, August 29, 2008

an inconsistent blog of staggering brilliance

This post has no topic I'm staying with, so keep up.


I am officially employed. By Starbucks. Unless you know me real well, you don't understand the hilarity of this. A year ago, I would NEVER work at Starbucks. I thought they were a corporate devil, kicking out the smaller, more local coffee businesses. I didn't even like their coffee. But now I am working for them. How do I feel?

Not guilty. I think they have picked up some better ethics. And the more I learn about them, the more I like them.

However, part of me feels like I have sold myself short. Not that there is anything wrong with being a barista. Some people make a rather nice profession out of it. But I feel like I have just signed up to never leave Manassas. I mean, of course if I move, I can work at a Starbucks elsewhere. Duh. But will I have enough money to move anywhere? I'd have to be really really smart about saving money.

I feel, since I don't have a well-paying full-time job I'm gonna be in Manassas forever. That's like, one of my top 3 fears in life.

warning: you may need a dictionary to get through this part of my post

Moving on...eschatology. One of my least favorite topics has been fascinating me lately. I don't really like getting in depth about end times study. Sometimes I feel that its a big waste of time. Then end times theologians will use these verbose words that no one really knows the true meaning of and take literal interpretations out of very very metaphorical, symbolic passages. Also, some churches put WAY too much emphases on eschatology, especially those who uphold the dispensational pre-millennialist view point (see what I mean by verbose words?). Their eschatology determines almost everything they do. I mean, seriously, what about the gospel? It's secondary. Jesus' 1000 year earthly reign: far more important.

I can see from my readings that I am not dispensationalist. I don't think there will be a rapture or a 1000 year reign. I am not a postmillenialist, which is this viewpoint held by many progressives that Christ will return, after we, as humans, save the world. Uh-huh. That's a tad optimistic.

I like amillennialism the best out of three, but that doesn't completely satisfy me. I like how it views the reign of Christ as a symbolic reign through the years, but that still Christ is coming back and will consummate new heavens and new earth. The thing I like most about it is that it points more towards Christ and not towards human works. I like the ideas of covenant theology and partial preterism. But I don't think the whole thing is completely infallible.

I think eschatology is one of those mysteries of God which we are not supposed to have hammered out. I don't think it should dictate how we live our faith.

Will I do further research on this? Depends. It's not high on my priority list but good stuff to read to quench curiosity.

On to other things, I have just rejoined myspace. And I ran into a myspace page of "This American Life," a hilarious radio show on NPR. Unbeknown st to me, they have a TV show now on Showtime, and I browsed through some pretty great clips of it.
Here are my favorite two:

1) TAL TV: The Beard Chart



Visit ThisAmericanLife.org for more.


2) TAL TV:This Little Piggy Made Me Vomit



Visit ThisAmericanLife.org for more.

1 comment:

Beth Beck Land said...

yay for a job...and I've always wanted a job at Starbucks...how are those ethics really going, anyway?