Wednesday, February 25, 2009

mmmmmmusic

I am re-discovering my love for song lyrics. However, whenever I post them on my facebook status I get asked about them as if they apply directly to my life. Which in a slanted, symbolic way they are related. But when I posted "I was asleep and he woke me again" (a Sufjan stevens song about God calling Samuel) I got asked by my dad and brothers about which guy they should look out for who keeps waking me up at night. People get so literal. They should know I am hardly ever completely literal.

Music lyrics remind me of my first love- writing. This I have been ignoring, lately. I thought about that today- why am I ignoring my number one gift and possibly my life's calling? What excuse do I have? I talked to another writer recently (one who is actually writing) and she reminded me that writing is a muscle you need to keep exercising to grow stronger. Perhaps thats why I've been completely uninspired- I simply have not been working the muscle.

It's like going to the gym after ignoring it for awhile. I really really don't want to work out at those points- it's hard to work that energy back up. But once you do, you get motivated again and that energy starts coming.

So if I start writing, something will come. Maybe I should keep reading song lyrics and get back to the short stories of my muse, Flannery O'Connor. I don't have a lot of time to committ to reading novels... but there is nothing I enjoy more than a well-crafted short story.

1 comment:

Jed Estrada said...

Wow... it's good to know I'm not alone. See two posts back on my blog. :-p I also know what you mean about facebook posts. It's especially bad when you post Fray lyrics. Everyone wants to know who you broke up with.

Facebook just doesn't cut it. I used to have an xanga, and I'd write in it all the time. I left when everyone else did, and facebook became popular. It was over that time that I forsook writing, too. I'm just starting to get back into the swing of it, thanks to the newspaper I write for, and my blog. Good thoughts. :-)