Friday, February 09, 2007

It's all happening.

A few friends were the witnesses. The first to see me flip out at a sporting event tonight.

Even though I have a competitive drive (growing up with 3 brothers), I am notoriously known for hating sports. I hate playing them (because I'm so slow and clumsy), I hate watching them (even though it's on 24/7 in the Esposito household).

But on a whim, I went to an ice hockey game tonight- CNU vs. VCU. The captains got slaughtered. It was painful to watch, but at the same time, the game exhilarated me. Maybe it's the fact that you're standing so close, right outside the rink, you can feel the impact of a body slam. Hockey is violent. It's violent and stirs up emotions. And that somehow attracts me.

Hockey is a game somewhat known to me in person. When I was a pre-teen, my brother played indoor roller hockey. Not quite the same, but I enjoyed going to his games. That could've been just for the food and the hot older guys. But still, from sitting around all the violent hockey moms, I could feel the intensity. I could get into the game. I mean, it is more simple, and faster paced. I think that's why I like it.

The emotions of the violent hockey moms all came back to me tonight, and was channeled through my excessively loud voice, taunting insults, and insistent cheering, through almost the entire game. Bekah warned me not to get in any fights with VCU fans. A few came over to our side and cheered on VCU and I was ready to body slam them.

It's good. I finally found a vent for my competitive energy that usually remains locked up until someone pulls out "Apples to Apples" or "Risk" at a party.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh ho ho!

There's a Janelle I'm ashamed to have missed!


Hope that you're doing well. Don't be ashamed...buy a jersey if you need to. But I'll still be the guy watching the super bowl for the commercials while wearing the super-awesome hat you got me for my birthday.

As always.

Cheers!