Friday, April 25, 2008

almost coherent thought for the week on Christian existentialism

Sometimes I wonder what it means to be both depressed and be a Christian, especially in our postmodern age when existentialism is so popular, and not necessarily completely contradictory to Christian faith. Without God, everything is devoid of meaning. I think the fact that God is sovereign and has complete control of our lives sounds pretty existential sometimes. It seems like I've become a Christian existentialist without even meaning to, mainly due to my depression, I'm sure. Sometimes all I see from my life is suffering, to which I have no control over. I cannot control my emotions.

I want to live a life where the good news is actually good news to me. Where I can claim victory in Christ (and nothing else, everything else is devoid of meaning). Where I can experience joy which nothing else can give.

I seek the truth. And sometimes, the truth is hard to swallow. Ignorance is bliss, right? The truth of God in my life is something I cannot ignore, but sometimes it's just hard to take in. I put so much responsibility on myself. I guilt myself when I'm not connected as I think I should be.

And I'm depressed. That's a real disorder. And yes, you can be a Christian who takes joy in the Lord, and still be depressed. But, I'm commanded by God to be glad. Where is the line drawn? When do I give in too much to my futile thoughts? It's an ongoing battle- the fight between me obtaining joy and giving in to futility. It changes almost every minute. I'm not bipolar, but sometimes it feels like such a bipolar spirituality- I go from a mountain peak to a valley within moments. Where is my steady ground? I think many of us are in this condition, and quite honestly I don't think it's something that we can control. The internal battles are often between God and principalities of Darkness.

So, what can we do? How can I, a Christian who struggles (but sometimes doesn't put forth much effort) with depression, do to claim victory in Christ? Is it more of an action or simply a way of being? Maybe both are integrated. We are called to take action, but sometimes actions burn us out and we just need to be still.

When my spirits are low and my heart is under attack, what can I do?

Prayer is the integration, I believe. It invites us to take action (in the act of praying) but also to be passive. When we pray, we slow down our hearts and minds to listen to the heartbeat of our Creator. The actions lulls us into being.

I need to pray more. Honestly, something's been preventing me. I need to repent of whatever it is. Yes I can be a Christian and be depressed. But I cannot lean on my depression, clinging on to it, and using it as excuse. I need to cling to the gospel- the salvation of God incarnate rescuing me from my grave.

I do feel genuine times of continuous gladness. And then I fall. But no matter where my emotions lie, my Lord is always with me. And that's something to celebrate. I can't simply be a Christian existentialist ALL the time.

No comments: