Wednesday, October 29, 2008

i heart henri nouwen

I much prefer reading Henri Nouwen to boys.

I much prefer him to most Christian writers. His style is so elegant. His words flow off the page. He doesn't have to say much to make his point, but then will go for a bit explaining it. He's not overly religious or legalistic but you can see his love for Christ. He embraces faith holistically, and does not hold back on any issues.

His writing reminds me of a cross between Wendell Berry and a Christian Gary Snyder (ha, like that'd ever happen).

I'm reading Seeds of Hope, which only gives me excerpts from his different books on various topics he writes on. Pretty light reading, but still deep, powerful stuff in a few sentences.

I would say out of most spiritual texts I've read, this is one of the most accessible to the non-believer. He speaks often from a more philosophical viewpoint and doesn't tout around a lot of heavy Christian-nese language.

No comments: