Wednesday, March 11, 2009

seedling

When I stepped outside my work building in Purcellville today, I smelled a smell. It was a farmish cowlike smell, and quite honestly it's not very appealing. "Ahhhh," I thought. "So this is what P-ville smells like when it's not winter." I wasn't disgusted by the smell I hated so much as a little kid going to the Prince William County Fair.

Instead, the smell served as a reminder to me: "It's not quite winter anymore. It's time to start my garden."

Lately, I have had this lofty idea to start a community garden. In Manassas- wish me luck.

This idea has actually stayed with me for longer than most of my ideas (that is definitely a good sign). Though, I was shy to bring it up to my friends because I was afraid the idea would be rejected and dismissed as one of Janelle's idealistic hippie thoughts (which it is). But God works in cool ways, and he showed me about a month ago that other people are willing to take this on, and that it's even been revealed separately other people close to me (total confirmation).

BUT.
I am an extremely passive person, and will get all these great ideas but never act on them. But I very decisively determined to go buy seeds, but I didn't know where to go. And no offense to Manassas, but I thought the Purcellville area would be a better place to find good seeds.

As if led by some force outside my own determination, I went to the Hamilton General Store today. It was settled in a little house, and the store right next to it was closed down. I was greeted by the smell of flowery homemade soaps and a smiling lady behind the counter. "Wow!" I said. "It smells GREAT in here."
"I think that's just me!" said the lady. I liked her instantly.

I went on to ask her about seeds and she didn't sell any ( but does sell local meat and happy milk, as well as an assortment of ice cream, candy, and interesting foods you can only find at country stores). She was happy to tell me where I could find a seed seller...and then a man who had brought her happy eggs joined in on our conversation. I told them I was (gulp) learning how to garden, and was surprised that I shared with them my ever so naive idea to start a community garden. I thought it'd get a negative "you're a dumb hippie" response.

But the man told me in his slightly thick country accent about how he was looking into buying land for a community garden/farm where he'd keep goats and hopefully appeal to the hispanic/middle eastern communities. Good idea but I felt a sort of sarcasm in his tone which made me feel that he was being ficitious. I think it was when he mentioned something about seed insurance and the lady at the counter was laughing at him the whole time.

But we ended up talking for about 30 minutes about gardening. And now I have a good starting place. I was told that tomatoes are best grown in May after you're sure the frosting's over (but if it isn't, you can cover your tomatoes with milk gallons cut open), and that grains are what people typically start growing early. I was advised on what kind of tomato seeds I should buy and also to look up what foods are grown in a region (this is noted by a number. The lady said we were either 6 or 7). I was directed to a landscaping store in Lincoln which apparently has the best gardening expert in the area.

I remember at one point the man asked if I was gonna grow from seeds or from plants. I told him seeds. Plants would probably be a lot easier, especially for a beginner like me. But I always say, if you're gonna learn something, you gotta learn the right way. And seeds just make sense to me, because I need to learn about the growth and development of plant, and that's best way to do it, even if it means failure. Even if I don't reap a harvest this year.

Seeds are very important on a spiritual level. And I like crossing over spiritual and physical principles, because many times they are completely intertwined (like vines). For some reason (partially due to my redemptive gifting of teaching) I understand the biblical metaphors of gardening rather well, even though I have never gardened. Now I want to apply these principles to my real life. I want to draw near to land and let my hands connect to the ground. I believe that builds a stronger connection with God, because you have a stronger connection to His creation.

Seeds are also very important to this phase of my life right now, where there are just little tiny seeds spread out, waiting to take root. Purcellville is a seed because its farmland reminds of my desire to get closer to the source of my food. My job at Starbucks is a seed because I work with food and drink, and I learn to work with and talk to all sorts of different, and sometimes unusual people. My job in P-ville is a seed because I needed to reconcile myself to a community that I severed myself from in college (the religious right) and I am learning the importance of having an open mind and re-learning important perspectives conservatives have. Plus I am gaining important experience and I am working in an organization where passion is emphasized, and anything less than that is strongly discouraged. And I am working in a cause which I am coming to believe in (http://www.parentalrights.org/ - go there sometime). Living in Manassas is a seed...and that's a little bit more of a loaded explanation I won't go into.

God is preparing me for something, and it's gonna be grand, but very hard. I am grateful for everything he is planting in my life.

1 comment:

Brenda! said...

I really like all of this. I'm going to be watching you.