Tuesday, January 12, 2010

a good reminder

Two, almost 3 years ago, I went to Kenya. Today I was blessed to get an e-mail from a nun who worked at the center my Global Project group stayed with. I couldn't believe she remembered me. I remember her vaguely. I remember having a somewhat in depth conversation with her but I can't even remember her face. Funny how those things tend to happen. We can forget a face, but people in our memories still have a name.

I want to share her e-mail to me and my response back to her (she calls me janello because that's in my e-mail address).

Dear Janello,
Merry Christmas and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010.
Hope with God's loving care you and your friends had a blessed Christmas seasson. So to me.

I wonder wether you still remember me? May I remind you.
I am Sr. Rozina Kimaro. We met at Watakatifu Wote Senta in Ngong Diocese, Kenya. You came there with Global Group and you and Sarah visited Kibera Slum in Nairobi.
I think the experience you got from Kibera it is still alive with you. Those poor families the way they struggle to survive. Lets continue pray for them and help them whenever possible.

Back to me I am now serving Technical Vocation Centre for Youths boys and girls in Tanzania. It is called ST. ANTHONY VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE. Owned by the Diocese of Musoma in northern Tanzania, along Lake Victoria shore.
Our centre is a boarding. We have about 150 youths, out of whom 81 are either orphan or most vulnerable. Most of the students are coming from very poor families. Our objective is to empower them with technical skills so that they can employ themselves.

When you visit East Africa again dont hasitate to meet us.
Pass my sincere greetings to your friend Sarah. I will love to hear from you and to know your mission right now.
Stay blessed.
Regards,
Sr. Rozina.


Sister Rozina,

Yes, I do remember you. How delightful it is to hear from you.

You are right, my experience from Kibera still is alive in me as much as it is easy to forget it, living in an affluent culture with various distractions surrounding me everyday. Thank you for the reminder to continue in prayer for the families in Kibera.

It has been hard for me to integrate my experience in Kenya back into the United States. Especially after graduation from college, I had to acquire a job, pay the bills and it's made me very busy and simply living for myself. I recently went to the Urbana missions conference in St. Louis, Missouri. This is a conference which InterVarsity Christian Fellowship with International Fellowship of Evangelical Students puts on every 3 years. I got to see Brian and Debbie Lee and various other students who were on the same Global Project. While there, God woke my spirit back up to himself and to issues of poverty around the world and on the homefront.

Coming back from the conference, I have been trying to place these things I've been re-learning into application. I am revitalizing my prayer life, waking up earlier in the morning to pray. I recently heard a sermon on the importance of intercession, and I admit, I so often pray for myself more than I pray for others. I am re-developing the discipline to pray for others, and so I will committ to praying for the families in Kibera.

What you are doing at St. Anthony sounds wonderful and much needed in the Kingdom. Bwana Asifiwe! What kind of vocational skills are they being taught? I will pray for you in your ministry and particularly for the orphans as they learn helpful trades, which they can hopefully carry with them. How can I specifically pray for you?

Right now, I am working as an administrator for a non-profit which is advocating to add a parental rights amendment to the U.S. Constitution so families can continue to be protected in America. It is great to work for a cause I believe in but I would like to do direct ministry to the poor in the United States or maybe abroad. I want to work in a ministry which teaches people from low-income communities how to cook and garden/farm (particularly not a lot of people in the U.S. knows how to do these basic things). Please pray for me as I apply to different programs this year which will hopefully equip me for this mission.

Thank you for e-mailing me and reminding me of Kibera and prayer. If God brings me back to East Africa, I will be sure to visit you. I am sending your greetings on to Sarah. She will be blessed to hear from you, as I also am.

Salama,
Janelle

No comments: