Wednesday, January 13, 2010

why is it so hard to be a volunteer?

Oh, how the tables have turned. I work for a national organization that uses volunteers. We use them well, but sometimes individuals slip through the cracks. That's the devil of the non-profit, sometimes.

When I moved to Leesburg, I wanted to get plugged in as a volunteer at a food non-profit right away. That was in September. They did not touch base with me until now, and I admit, the results are disappointing. To protect privacy and preserve the integrity of the non-profit I am using ________ space instead of the names.

Hi Janelle,

I have received your application and thank you for your interest in volunteering with _____! We have a very active group of over 200 volunteers who help us serve our community in the fight against hunger. If it were not for the kindness of individuals like you, we could not do it! Please know how grateful we are that you are interested in helping us in our efforts. At the present time however, all our volunteer positions are full. I will keep your application on file and if an appropriate position opens up, I will contact you to see if you are still interested. In the meantime, food is always our primary need so please feel free to peruse our website for food drive information throughout the year.

Again, thank you for thinking of us & Happy New Year.

Best regards,
_________

Here is my response:

_______,

I turned in my application in September and must admit I am quite disappointed to wait until January to hear from you. I work for a non-profit as well, so I understand that things can be slow at times, but might if you had reviewed my application in September, there could have been a position opened between then and now?

I am very passionate for the cause of food and hunger and would like to do more in the community, but there never seems to be openings to do anything, anywhere. It is tragic to me that there are so many people willing to help and give a hand but no opportunities available to do anything. I know there are needs at different places. I know there are still needs in the community. When it takes an application to do anything and have it not even be looked at, it's rather discouraging.

I am not faulting you. I know you are very busy and you are working for a great cause and I admire all the work you do at ________. I just wish there was more I could do to engage the community. Even my preferences marked on that application might have even changed since I applied in September. I do not even remember what I marked. I have lots of flexibility to do anything ________ needs. I am just simply hungry for an opportunity to do something in my community rather than sit around at home in the evenings, staring at a computer screen or watching tv.

Thank you for your time.

Janelle

1 comment:

Kay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.