Friday, September 22, 2006

Today, I had a revelation: I want to teach. Teach what? Maybe English, but I don't want to just teach about English, but a more broad spectrum of things- ranging from drama, art history, religion, philosophy, etc etc. I guess English teachers could very well incorporate different subjects into it though, since my lit prof took my class on a tour of the campus architecture a couple days ago.

This is funny. When I was little, I mean LITTLE, I wanted to teach. But then that desire completely went away. And in high school, I joined the FEA (future educators of America) but I think that was just because I liked my teacher who was running it. We were friends. She was my English writing teacher. Go figure. One of my friends, Shawnee had commented on how I'd be a great teacher. She said that everyone would complain about how I didn't make sense until they scored advanced on their SOLs. When I got to college, I still had no desire to teach.

Until today.

It was no big event, not any at all. I was sitting in lit class. I was getting my books together. It wasn't a special class. I mean, I was sitting there, listening to things my classmates had to say that were interesting. And I was interested, rather than wanting to shoot them. And then when I got up I had a random surge in my heart to teach.

I forgot about this. And then Lindsey and I watched Looney Tunes today. We were watching this one about Daffy Duck trying to fight against what his animator was doing to him, but to no avail. He was the one being animated. When I saw, I thought, if I taught a class about existentialism, I'd show this cartoon.

And it got me thinking about the weird things I think up and how I always want to share them with people. And my creative energies. Yes, I like to write. Yes, I like to create. But limiting it to just that wouldn't be good. I am a girl filled with creative visions that is beyond just creating art, it's creating good, functional things. I was thinking about where they'd best fit into a job. I'd say teaching is one. Maybe the one. I also have had thoughts that I want form a school. I look around this one, and I see what I would do different, as far as what it is.

I don't know who I'd teach or where I'd teach. I have always wanted to live abroad, but I think that would be the hardest, teaching people who I don't understand. Communicating would be difficult. I also have wanted to go on the missions field, maybe teaching would come in hand there. Or maybe teach in the inner city? Or teach a bunch of spoiled over- educated kids? I kinda wanna be a prof. So, today I had a vision. But I have to do a lot more praying and waiting to discover the details.

Neverthless, I'm excited. I never ever thought I'd say that again. That I want to teach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always thought you would be one of those amazing teachers who not only have the ability to help their students learn, i've always thought you also have such a passion for so many things, that if you were to teach anything, your students would fall in love with all of these things...

so...hopefully this is the path you need to follow...cause i know you would be amazing at it...as with anything you tend to do...<3

Anonymous said...

if i were a kid, and you were my teacher, i'd be all like "i want to be just like ms espisito when i grow up"