Sunday, May 28, 2006

I have a problem. And I need to pray my butt off for it. And if you'd like to pray for me as well, that'd be great.

I love that God put me at CNU, in these two years, I have grown in so many ways I never imagined. But, I feel like it's time to move on. I don't know if this is just an impulse, but it's a feeling that's been growing in me for a long time, so maybe it isn't.

I just feel like besides an amazing community of friends who have been so good to me, and Intervarsity, there is nothing there for me. I love theater so much, but I hate being a theater major. I honestly don't like the department, and I don't feel like I am passionate enough about the program to spend all my time in it like others do. I can't wait to take playwriting, but I could even do that without being a theater major.

The only other option? English. I have enough credits to continue in English as a major, instead of theater. I would probably concentrate in creative writing. Thinking about creative writing scares me, because I hate writing unless I am inspired. It would be extremely difficult for it to become a discipline for me.

I don't want Theater or English. I don't want any of the other programs at CNU. Not for four years.

What a girl to do? Transfer.

I know, I know. Yeah, right. I don't have the money to do that. I don't. My parents are not having the easiest time putting me through college. These past two years will be several thousand dollars down the drain for them, without me getting a degree. I want to get a degree, but my parents want it more for me, and want me to pursue it in the cheapest, easiest way- 4 years at CNU...I gotta obey that, right? Since they're the parents and the breadwinners.

By the way, if I transfer I know what I'd want to study. Either communication design or film, depending on where I go. I have no idea where to go. I looked at VCU, and it seems like transferring there is a bigger bitch than most places, as far as going into the arts. I'd have to submit a portfolio just to get in, even though I am not currently an art student. For film! Plus the program requirements would make a freshman for a long time.I was browsing, looking at Pacific Northwest College of Art, and it seems like it at least would possibly take my liberal arts credits, which I have a lot of. But that is in Portland, thousands of miles away from home, away from my family, away from my friends who I love so I dearly, and miss so much right now. Even though Portland is an ideal place for me to be, I need to look much closer to home.

Plus, I have no money.

So what else? Well, I think maybe after next semester, I might take a semester off. I am definitely gonna continue at CNU this semester, and am excited about going back when I do. And who knows, maybe when I go back, I'll stay for good. But I am seriously considering dropping out for a semester, to
a) work my butt off (to possibly afford transferring, and so my parents won't pay room and board for a semester that might be a waste of time)
b) pray. pray. pray. explore my options. apply to and visit colleges. pray God will open doors.
c)maybe take an art class at NOVA

I would absolutely hate being home, while I could be at CNU with my friends. I would abhor it. It would not be easy. Not in the slightest. But I know I need to be a good steward of my parents' money, and going to school for things that I am impassionate about is not gonna work. So that's maybe what will happen. Who knows? I'm petrified. CNU is so comfortable for me. CNU has been a home to me. I feel more at home there than I ever have felt among my Manassas community. Plus there's the issue of IV leadership. I made a committment to it. I am stoked about theater small group next semester and what God has in store for it. But I at least know that if I do lead, there are girls in the group who'd be fully capable of taking over. Afterall, Beth, Nicole, and I are not the leaders of the group. God is.

I don't cry usually when people leave or I leave people. But right now, thinking about leaving CNU is making me tear up. I really love it there. But it doesn't feel right for what I wanna do. It feels like a waste of my parents' money.

So, I am gonna go this next semester to see if I have any passion for it, academically. And if I don't, away I go.

God, I don't want to do this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi- I came across your blog and had a thought on this post; I deal alot with worry and doubt myself as a mother of two young children, but, as you know in your heart, it's all up to God's plan. You can think this subject into the ground, and ultimately, it's already been decided- you just don't see it yet. Lay your burden down & Christ will lead you to it. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

hey! glad i can comment now, sheesh. as much as i would hate it if you left cnu, you need to do what you need to do, and i'll support you no matter what.



but i can't help continue to pray to keep you at cnu. our communications department is pretty awesome if i do say so myself, however, it may not be what you're into.

that girl said...

hehe, i love you karen

i'd major in comm, except our comm department is too theory/research oriented...it doesn't have much too offer in the realm of media, besides just a theory/research class on media every here and there

Anonymous said...

yeah, its verey theory/research, which means if i want to do film, i'm going to have to do grad school. but i'm really liking the theory/research stuff now. i like it so much, that i may be switching gears towards public relations.


and i totally meant to say "i can't help BUT TO continue to pray to keep you at cnu.." the way i wrote it before is like saying, i'm gonna stop praying that you will stay, which is kinda contradictory :-P

and i hope you're having a blast in portland and that its all you imagined and expected it to be- and so much more :-D