Monday, May 29, 2006

My cousin by marriage died Saturday night. I did not know him too well. He lived in Philadelphia with my cousin Lori. I visited them there a few years ago, and I was impressed by his historical knowledge of the city. Really bright guy. Really nice, too.

He was a heavy drinker. It was in his genes it seems, being an Irish Catholic. He was a very social guy, very fun. Alcohol however has created troubles for him over the years, especially in his marriage. He quit drinking last week. I guess he had enough.

Thursday night, he collaspes. He has no brain activity. I hear about it and am shocked, but it doesn't sink in.

Then on Saturday, he passed. He died so young.

I mourn for him, but especially my cousin Lori. I can not even imagine what she's going through right now. She lost her husband. Her husband who was just trying to fix things in their marriage. Her husband her loved her and has been with her for around 10 years. Dang.

I cannot even imagine.

I'm thousands of miles away right now from all of this. The funeral is this week. I obviously won't be in attendance. I wouldn't even know what to say to her. What words could possibly comfort her?

I know one thing I can do. Is pray. Pray that God captivates her life and surrounds her with his glory and love. I pray that through this difficult time, she can find dependence on Him, and have her lead her through, comforting her, as a husband would. Bring her through this time of mourning and heal her wounds.

I pray she recieves new life through God. I pray that he will use whatever vessel she needs to communicate God's care to here. Whether it be a friend, a family member, a book, a song, or just an impulse to start reading the Word.

I cannot even imagine how she feels, but I weep for her and her husband.

My brother's response.

No comments: