Sunday, August 08, 2010

a bewildered brother

When I first became a vegetarian 4 years ago, it was a shock to all of my immediate family. They simply could not understand how an Italian-American girl they raised could so quickly dismiss meat from her life altogether.

Today was the first day I came home as a hospivegan. I came home to hang out with my brother Justin while my parents were out on a boat all day. He's a quadripalegic, so I was there to make sure all his needs were met--including being fed.

If Justin kept up with my facebook, he would have figured things out before I came. There was no big phone call to my fam announcing my veganism. But I thought they stalked me enough...however lots has been happening for them lately, so my eating habits was the furthest thing from their minds.

Normally when I come over while my parents are not home, we either order Chinese or get pizza from the greatest local pizza chain, Tony's. This was a compromise, because I could get something vegetarian and Justin would still get something he liked.

Justin: So, you want to order Chinese?
(I wrinkle my nose.)
Me: Eww...transfats and MSG's.
Justin: What about Tony's?
Me: Oh, I can't. I cut off dairy. And I would let it slide, but I just cheated last night. And if I cheat again, I know I will feel awful.
Justin: WHAAAATT now you don't even eat cheese? WHAT DO YOU EAT?

So picking food was not the only problem, but Justin thought my health reasons excuse was hogwash. He thought the real reason I was vegan was ethics. That I would no longer touch any more animal products. I tried to explain to him that I was feeling a little ill, and wanted to give veganism a try out, but he said I should see a doctor, and that this was all a front  to make it seem I wasn't in Camp PETA.

Annnd I am not. We finally settled on me cooking dinner. I explained to him that being vegan made eating out 10 times harder and I trust the food I cook better anyway.

He wanted chicken and rice...which could have many varieties. We finally settled on Fiesta Rice, which he pulled from the Uncle Ben's website. I demanded a recipe but I did not follow it of course.

My brother is awesome. He is also particular about his food. I chopped up a tiny bit of garlic and a tiny bit of basil to put in, and immediately he accused me of not making a mexican meal. He also wanted the chicken marinated and baked and with no veggies touching the rice. When I put his plate together, I also had to make sure no veggies were put on his plate at all with the chicken.

We are polar opposites when it comes to food. He hates veggies. I am not in love with meat. I love veggies and can eat them at any time.

The marinade was kinnnnnda amazing.
In a skillet with olive oil, I quickly fried a tad bit of garlic, basil/parsely, LOTS of cilantro and green onions, vidalia onions and green peppers. I added lots of jalepenos, red pepper and black pepper. I poured small amounts of sea salt on the chicken with chili powder and cumin. Three tablespoons of Hot Pace Picante salsa (Justin's fave). Then I threw the veggies all on top and added some bigger cuts of green peppers and tomatoes.

I don't remember how long I baked it in the oven. I am not used to cooking meat, and at a certain time I tested it, and it seemed good. I used very fine boneless chicken breasts- Perdue was my brother's request. I do not like perdue and would rather buy free-range, local chicken but I did not have the time to do that and Giant has none of that (DANIELLLLL). But I did read on the label that it's all-natural and hormone-free, now.

The rice was Goya mexican rice in chicken flavor. Justin was also very particular about not buying healthy rice, like long grain brown rice....mmmmmm. He wanted the rice to correspond though to the meal, and not just be Uncle Ben's generic white rice.

After I put most of the marinade on the chicken, I saved some of it in the skillet, and poured some rice, black beans and red beans on top. My very easy vegan alternate. So I could enjoy my vegan, veggie-filled meal and my brother could enjoy his meal.

But being a hospivegan, I did taste some of the chicken, for my benefit and to test it out. It was OK, loved the flavor, but would have been so much better if it were local.

My brother may not believe my motives, but we did have a great compromise dinner together which required absolutely no dairy on my side. My brother eat his meal with sour cream, which he said brought a nice, cooling sensation to the spices. I am sure the sour cream balanced everything out nicely. MMMMM... I love sour cream...

I. LOVE. SOUR. CREAM.

Next time when I don't consume literally two sticks of butter the night before. I promise you sour cream, we will have our day.

No comments: