Monday, August 02, 2010

vegan win: Bridge of Death

On my last post, I detailed in on my failings as a vegan, particularly when caramel, chocolate and half & half play in. Now I want to redeem myself by discussing my vegan wins.

Part 1:

Friday night was my first improv comedy show. This summer, I took a beginners class which was lots of fun at the Tally Ho in Leesburg. That night, we were opening for Last Ham Standing, a local improv group a la "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

I was thrilled when Bekah and Sherwin told me they were coming, so I excitedly prepared a meal. I was influenced by this eggplant rollatini which Ashley sent me at work musing that it would be better with cheese.

The local eggplant I bought at Giant (yes, all the grocery stores have been promoting local produce) was not quite big enough for this recipe. I also did not have pine nuts. I whole-heartedly disapprove of using pre-cooked tomato sauce for anything, so I knew I had to put my own spin on this recipe.

1) I made the couscous. I used veggie broth for the water, and I also added gluten-free bread crumbs. Sounds odd, but I did this to make the couscous even more of a glue. Couscous is always super easy. Boil the broth, then let the couscous run its course in a lidded pot for 5 minutes.
2)I made the sauce. Very simple, starting with olive oil in a small pot or skillet, throw in crushed or chopped garlic (I was in a rush, so I crushed it), chopped vidalia onions. I chopped two vine tomatoes (I like roma but these were the ripest ones I found at the store) and threw them in. Chopped some zucchini and then threw in fresh basil and cilantro. For spices I added ginger, red curry powder, red pepper and black pepper.
3) At the same time, I started the eggplant. First I salted it. Then, I threw it in a skillet with olive oil, garlic and vidalia onions. I did not cook them all the way through.
4) I crushed some Stacy's pita chips in a bowl.

Now for the casserole making. I am not big on casseroles. The closet I usually get to this is lasagna (mmmmm).

1)Using a smaller baking pan, I laid out a layer of eggplant. Due to my lack of eggplant I created space in between them in the pan.
2) Smother the eggplant with couscous and fill in the gaps with crushed pita chips.
3) Add the zucchini tomato sauce on top.
4)Repeat the layers until you run out. I made 3 or 4 layers.
5) Bake under 350 for 25 minutes. Broil the last 5 minutes. and Voila.

Bekah, Sherwin and I came back from the show at 10. We were starving, and I still had to bake the casserole. But our hunger was rewarded. Sherwin was amazed that he was eating something vegan that was good. The spices lived up to Sherwin and Bekah's spicy food requirements.

I told Bekah to name the dish and she called it "Bridge of Death," named after this quirky situation I got into when playing the game Columns at the Improv show.

So, please make Bridge of Death for all your friends when they come over.

Don't forget the apple cider vinegar to keep handy in your kitchen. I am not sure why, but Sherwin thought that would be a good addition.

Bekah: "Ewww, why do you smell like vinegar?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site yirayhwh.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

that girl said...

State your identity, your site, and what you mean by exchanging links, and that would be a possibility.